CPC is ‘Cost Per Click’ in average. Let’s say, you get 0.02$ for one click and 1$ for another click, so your average CPC is (0.02$ + 1$ )/2 = 0.51$. CPC is a another factor in Adsense to decide the performance along with eCPM (Effective Cost Per Mile) and CTR (Click Through Rate).
What is Adsense CPC?
You must try the possible methods to increase the CPC in Adsense to maximize the revenue. Increasing the CTR also will help, but when CPC is low with high CTR, still there will be less earnings.
For example, instead of getting 10 clicks at 0.02$ CPC ( 10 x 0.02$ = 0.2$), try to get 2 clicks at 0.50$ CPC which is 2 x 0.50$ = 1$, much better isn’t it?. So, your CTR is less ( 10 to 2), but final earning is much better ( 0.2$ to 1$) because of good CPC ( 0.02$ to 0.5$). I hope you got my point.
Let’s See How to Increase Adsense CPC
1) Concentrate on Keywords, niche and topicNot all types on content shows the same types of ads. Advertisers pay(bid) more money on particular keywords which will pay good CPC. You must find out the high paying keywords for your blog topic and write about or include them in your blog posts. Google Adsense robots scan your content before display ads, if they find the valuable keywords and useful content, then Google will serve high quality ads.
How to find high paying keywords for Google Adsense
This doesn’t mean, you have to write only about high paying keywords. Getting search engine traffic to high paying keywords is very difficult since it will have more competition.
You write what you know and like to write, but keep in mind about high paying keywords and include them in few places.
Also, you have think about the potential advertisers and competition of the topic you write. Let’s say you are writing about free stuff, then you may possibly get less CPC, because none of the advertisers will pay high payout for free stuff which they can’t sell. Keep in mind!, each advertiser who is advertising though Google (Adwords) which display as Adsense ads in our blogs, need our visitors to their product page and convert them to sale, registration, or any action.
2) Enable Image and Text Ads.Some people do not like image, Rich media ads in their blog posts, because they expect adsense ads to show like a link (text link). In my experience, image and multi media ads works well in all the places. If you have Text only ads, make them to image and text. You can see the different in next two weeks. I experimented several times and several places, then decided image and text ads works well. Google highly recommends Image and Text ads.
Here are the few reasons,
- Image ads are likely to be clicked (High CTR)
- All famous advertisers and product owners like to show their brands and products as an image or rich media, so this might bring quality ads and good CPC.
- Only one image ad can be shown at a time instead of showing 3 to 4 text ads. This may possibly a good CPC ad.
- More advertisers will target your ad slots directly if you allow image and text ads though Adwords or Google Ad Planner.
3) Too many Ads – Less CPCAre you using all three adsense ad blocks? if yes,is it balancing your each post content?. I recommend to use all three ad blocks if your blog posts are long enough to accommodate these slots and with valuable keywords available to feed Google adsense robots.
If your articles are too short and not having rich keywords, then Google will struggle to show relevant, high paying, and interested ads for the visitors. At the end, you get clicks but no earnings because of low paying, non relevant and some times public ads too.
4) Monitor your Higher CTR Ad with Custom ChannelsChannels are very important here. This gives the clear idea of which Ad slot is performing well, measure CPC, eCPM , CTR and earnings of particular ad block. Create custom channels for each ad slot in your blog and monitor the performance for two weeks.
How this helps in increasing Adsense CPC?
- Remove the low performing Ad slot from your blog ( Decide by CTR and final earnings) for testing purpose. Now, Google may serve better ads to other two ad slots which is performing well, so your earnings will increase.
- Go to Next point.
5) First Ad unit in HTML Code Serves better adsYou may have one ad in header and other one inside post content, which ad will load first in your blog page? Obviously the ad in header, because that is at the first place in HTML code. Normally Google servers quality and high paying ads to first ad slot in a webpage, so in this example, it will be the header ad.
So, the next question is, is your header ad getting good CTR? here is the clash. When your ad block inside content is getting good clicks (higher CTR) than header ad, but still Google will server good ads in header. So you are wasting some of the possible clicks here.
To fix this issues, Google suggests to ad your important ad slot inside div tag, which is explained clearly in Google help page here. Adsense robots will serve highly quality ads to the block with div tag no matter where it is located in HTML code. Use div tag to the good performing block which you decided by custom channels in early step.
6) Reduce Accident, Fraud and Useless ClicksDon’t think you can make good money by clicking your ads from different IPs, ask your friends to click and anything like it. Google is very smart to find out these types of clicks and they will ban your account. Also, just clicking ads and closing the advertisers’ page immediately will be notified to Google. Google is much concern about their advertisers also, if your all clicks work like that without any benefits to advertisers what they expect, then Google might put your website in lower place where low quality ads will be served.
In long term plan, make sure Adsense ads are look like advertisements in your website and your visitors are interested and clicking ads to visit advertisers page purposely. Do not blend too much with your theme and expect some accident clicks. You can’t survive with accident, fraud and quick browser closing clicks in long term with Google adsense. This definitely effects the CPC, when your blog visitors converted well by advertisers with quality clicks, then you may get quality high paying ads.
There are few more techniques available to increase Adsense CPC, I think it will be useful once your blog started generating good traffic. I will publish them later in this blog. Stay tuned.
Believe me, a blog or website need time to generate reasonable income from Adsense. It’s not easy, but very much possible. The reader on mine, who contacted me, is having one month old with good traffic and by average he get 4 clicks per day which is very impressive. But it will take some time to earn stable income with Adsense.
Here is the real example, when I look back one year ago exactly on March 2010, my monthly earning was 33.59$.
Here is the current earning exactly after one year, around 550$ monthly with same single Blog.
How I Did?
- Keep producing content
- Write for you and your readers
- Generate good traffic from search engines
- Don’t’ put all ads in one place
- Don’t try all money making methods at a time
- Experiment the ad positions and colors but don’t over do it again and again
- Finally don’t motivate your self in blogging only for money.
Feel free to drop comments and keep visiting Technology Bangladesh for more information.